Silviu Bojica

sâmbătă, iulie 23, 2005

Evince as a PDF viewer in Ubuntu (continued) [en]

Following my previous post earlier today, I installed Evince to be tested as a PDF viewer on my Ubuntu Hoary distribution. First of all I installed it as a standalone application (later on as a plug-in to Mozilla Firefox), typing on Terminal:

sudo apt-get install evince

The installation process was straight forward without any complications. It downloaded from repositories (universe) all necessary packages, including dependencies.



The above screenshot says everything. Evince is all you need to display a PDF file and it has GNOME's look and feel. You are even able to search inside a file or follow links in the right side panel.

Just another thing, I need to be able to read PDF files in my browser (Mozilla Firefox). Thanks to a tip from a comment in my previous post I searched for mozplugger and install it:

sudo apt-get install mozplugger

According to forums info, next thing to do is to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat (~/ points to my home folder). I consider that is safer to move it to ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat.backup and to do a backup of the new created file /etc/mozpluggerrc during the installation process:

mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat  ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat.backup
sudo cp /etc/mozpluggerrc /etc/mozpluggerrc.backup

I edited /etc/mozpluggerrc (sudo gedit /etc/mozpluggerrc) and searched for:

application/pdf: pdf: PDF file
application/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
text/pdf: pdf: PDF file
text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file

then for

application/x-postscript: ps: PostScript file
application/postscript: ps: PostScript file

and I added next line after each of the above sections:

repeat noisy swallow(evince) fill: evince "$file"

and it worked, even without restarting Mozilla.

I really recommend all Evince, a light weight open source PDF viewer and it is fully integrated in GNOME. By the way it will come as standard in next GNOME version. Great!